MPN Group recently completed the rejuvenation of one of North Sydney’s well known heritage listed buildings, with an upgrade of the Greenwood Hotel that originally formed part of what was once St. Leonard’s Public School in 1878. The property has undergone many transformations over the years, including a period of neglect before being refurbished into a pub in 1989. This project was required due to the deterioration of the balcony’s timber structure with the existing decking, joists and posts supporting the awning having rotted. NSW Heritage council insisted that the original fabric was to be retained where possible. MPN called upon timber material technologist Richard Forrester from Timber Inspections to assist with checking the existing timber elements and nominating suitable timber species for the structural redesign and upgrade. The balcony’s primary framing of hardwood posts and bearers were retained. Existing rotted joists were left in place to satisfy the heritage council, with new joists laid between these joists using special detailing. The rotted bases of the posts were cut out with new bases scarfed in with galvanised base plates to extend their life. Finally, the traditional iron lace balustrading was replaced to bring the balcony up to current code compliance.