This is one of Westfield’s landmark centres thanks to its unique architecture, premium ambience and retail mix.
The site was an amalgamation of three former retail centres covering 3.1 ha either side of Oxford Street – a major shopping corridor and under the control of two different Council Authorities.The new centre has four levels of basement carpark, five to six levels of retail with another four levels of carpark over. There is a two level glazed bridge spanning Oxford Street and a 70m wide tunnel underneath linking the sites with retail and car parking. Excavation depths of up to 28m (and within 6m of a rail line), full and partial demolition of the existing structures as well as the new building structure, resulted in a challenging construction sequence especially considering the fast track nature of the project.
Some of the challenges that MPN Group solved:
- Removal of floors under and around one of the multi-storey towers and the insertion of new floors at different levels to achieve the necessary link with the new surrounding structure. Alterations to the temporary lateral stability bracing were required to be expedited to cope with a late change in construction sequencing to allow a shorter construction period.
- Extensive re-modelling of existing floors to match architectural planning requirements.
- Extra levels built over the existing trading centre. Strengthening of existing columns to suit both structural and architectural requirements
- Carparking spaces to be maintained and retail tenants not disrupted.
- Links under and over Oxford Street keeping the street operational at all times.
- Deep excavation with a large perimeter and a variety of adjacent building types along the boundary, including numerous sensitive load-bearing masonry type structures.
- Support of the existing retaining walls in the demolished retail building and then extending the walls down into the new excavation.